Sunday, July 7, 2013

Codecademy JavaScript

Unity offers three options for scripting.  C#, Boo, and JavaScript.

While C# is likely more powerful and flexible than JavaScript, it's also more challenging to learn.  Given that I've already fallen off the programming wagon early along the trail many times (C++, Java, Python...) I have opted to go with JavaScript for my game.  Also I felt that since I'm learning pixel art and the Unity engine at the same time, anytime I can reduce complexity I should.

There are a number of seemingly great JavaScript tutorials online.  I'm starting with Codecademy because my brief experience with Python on their site tells me that it's frictionless and easy to get started.

I've now knocked out the "Introduction to JavaScript" which consists of two parts.  28 "Getting Started With Programming" exercises and a 7 exercise "Choose Your Own Adventure" project.

I have very little experience programming as I mentioned above, really just 3 or 4 false starts in the past that I dropped after a few weeks.  This intro was not difficult at all and mildly entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment